Location unknown Bowness
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Retail Shop
'This lock up house consists of two cells, on the ground floor of a detached building in the middle of the village; the upper part being a retail shop and dwelling house. This dwelling house, however, is not occupied by the village constable who has charge of the lock up house. He lives about 50 yards off ... The cells are each about 7 feet long, 6 feet broad, and 7 1.2 feet high ... The cell doors open into a small passage, and there is a grating above each door to admit light and air. The cells are dry, but there is no provision for warming them. They are tolerably secure. Each cell has a guard bed, with loose straw for bedding. The place was clean and in good order. Last year there were 14 prisoners, chiefly vagrants and drunken people.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.114
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.