Location unknown Bootle
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
'This is a small detached building, containing two cells, opening into a small porch. It is situated at some distance from the police station, about the centre of the town. It belongs to the township, but is under the jurisdiction of the county. The cells are each 9 feet long, 6 1/2 feet wide, and 7 feet high ... In wet weather they are damp. They are warmed by open fires, from which, however, there is no danger. The cells are lighted, to some extent, by small grated openings in the walls, but are nearly dark. These openings, and the chimneys, are the only means of ventilation; and they are quite insufficient ... The cells are furnished with wooden benches to lie on, but no bedding.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.84
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.