Location town hall Bodmin
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Town Hall
'At the back of the county hall, in a part of the building formerly used as a workhouse, is a lock up house for the purposes of the borough. It contains separate divisions for male and female prisoners, and it does not appear to be open to any other objection than the want of ventilation; but in that respect, it is very defective.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain III. Southern and Western District, Fourteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1849, XXVI.93), p.9
'a single room, which is only used for vagrants, disorderly persons, and offenders committed for examination'
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Municipal Corporations of England and Wales, First Report, Appendices: Part 1 (Parl. Papers, 1835, XXIII.1), p.445
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.