Location Northgate, Blackburn
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1912
Year closed Still in use
Century of Operation 1900-1999
Building Type Police Station, Courthouse
Remarks Grade II listed.
'Central Police Station and Court House GV II Police Station and Court House. 1912, by Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornley. Sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Large rectangular plan on corner site at junction with Duke Street, with Police Station to rear and beneath Court House, and a screen wall at the south end linked to King George's Hall... INTERIOR: axial public corridor with marble-faced pilasters, egg-and-dart cornices, barrel-vaulted ceiling with 4 circular skylights; vestibule to Court No. 1 and Court No. 2 off rear of centre of this; both these courts retaining all original panelled oak furnishings and fittings including balcony (Court No. 1 also has curved former Grand Jury balcony in side wall), coved sky-lighted ceilings, stained glass windows (including one lettered Mercy facing Bench and another lettered Justice facing prisoners dock); both prisoners' docks have staircases down to police station beneath, and that in Court No. 2 has remains of original speaking tube for policeman in attendance. Courts 3 and 4 on upper floors to rear.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Central Police Station and Court House, Blackburn', LEN1223218
Description: Entrance to old police station yard at rear of magistrates' court
Photo by: Photo © Alexander P Kapp (cc-by-sa/2.0)