Location police station Blackburn
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened unknown
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Police Station
'This lock-up house, containing four cells, is situated in a rather low situation, about the centre of town, and forms part of the police station. The cells are of the following dimensions, viz., 9 feet long, 7 feet wide, 7 feet high, and containing about 450 cubic feet each. There is a house for the superintendent of police, rooms for the constables, and a room for the magistrates, but this last is small and inconvenient. The cells are lighted by an iron grating opening into a passage, but one of the cells is nearly dark. They are warmed by a hot water apparatus, which appears to work very well. The ventilation is at present insufficient ... There are wooden benches to lie on, but no bedding. The cells were clean and in neat order ... the number of prisoners last year was 520; that the greatest number at one time was 6; and the longest time that any person has been detained was four days. A large portion of the 520 prisoners, the superintendent said, had been merely lodged in this lock-up house while passing through Blackburn on their way to Preston.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Northern District, Thirteenth Report (Parl. Papers, 1847-8, XXXVI.361), p.66
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.