Location George Street, near junction with School Road, Bisley
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1824
Year closed 1850s
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Grade II* listed. Two cells.
'Village lock-up. Dated 1824. Ashlar limestone front; coursed rubble to sides and rear; stone slate roof. Single-storey with 2 cells; small walled forecourt. Ogee-shaped parapet to front gable with ball finial. Two square-headed openings with C20 restored iron gates; lunette of same width set immediately above stone lintel to each opening with iron grid-iron filling. Raised oval datestone set centrally above. Plain sides and rear. Low forecourt walls with central gate opening (gate missing) has plain coping. Interior: oval stone tunnel-vaulted ceiling to each cell. A very well preserved example of this building type.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Lock Up With Forecourt Wall, George Street', Bisley, LEN1340366
'A place of temporary confinement for wrongdoers awaiting appearance before the magistrate. In use until the 1850s. Restored in 1999 with help from local residents and the Countryside Agency'
Plaque on building