Location Bewdley Museum, Load Street Bewdley
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1783 (1802)
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up, Town Hall
Remarks Behind the town hall and shambles (now Bewdley Museum). Bewdley Museum website claims the cells were used from 1802.
'Market building and prison cells, now part of Bewdley Museum. 1783 with some late C20 restoration. Brick with tile roofs. Two parallel ranges running back (south-east) from Town Hall (qv) with 14 bays to the north range, 15 to the south. Bays open to front with segmental arches on square brick piers, south-east closed by a single arch with blank wall at back. Attached at south corner are three prison cells; two facing north-west have rusticated ashlar surrounds, fanlights with wrought iron infill and studded boarded doors with strap hinges. (Hereford and Worcester Record Office, BA 2432, box 3, no 49b).'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'The Shambles and Old Prison Cells, Bewdley', LEN 1348276