Alternative Names Former House of Correction
Location Adjacent to the Guildhall, Register Square, Beverley
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Former house of correction
Remarks Grade II listed. Former house of correction and borough gaol that became a police lock-up
'There was an East Riding house of correction in the building adjacent to the Guildhall from 1611. [see separate listing in the 19th Century Prisons database]. When the house of correction was moved to New Walk, the Guildhall building was made available as the borough gaol in 1811 and rebuilt for the purpose in 1832...By 1857 the building was only used as a lock-up for the police office [in the Guildhall] next door...In 1863...the prison building then became the borough police station.'
East Riding Museums, Exhibition Guide, 'Criminals, Courts and Correction: A history of crime and punishment in Beverley'
'Circa 1835. 2 storeys, rendered, with parapet line continuing that of the Guildhall. 4 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves to each floor. Wide entrance to right with C20 door.'
Historic England, National Heritage List for England, 'Former Police Station', Beverley, LEN1083961
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.