Alternative Names Kidcote
Location The Dings, Market Place (near Corn Hill), Beverley
Map location in the vicinity
Year opened Before 1519
Year closed 1761
Century of Operation 1500-1599, 1600-1699, 1700-1799
Building Type Pillory House or Kidcote
Remarks The Pillory House was a lock-up in the early 16th century but may later have been used to store the stocks and pillory. Demolished in 1761. The Dings was once located in the centre of the Market Place.
'A "place of confinement", referred to as a Kidcote (a Hull and York word for prison) was located in the Dings in Saturday Market by 1519-20. The Kidcote was later taken over by the corporation and at least once referred to as a pillory, suggesting it was the same construction known as the Pillory House by 1672. The Pillory House was demolished in 1761...[It once stood] at the southern end of Saturday Market near Corn Hill...The Pillory House appears to have been a substantial structure, in which the pillory and stocks were kept and brought out when needed.'
East Riding Museums, Exhibition Guide, 'Criminals, Courts and Correction: A history of crime and punishment in Beverley'
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.