Location High Street (behind the Salmon Inn), Belford
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened 1824
Year closed unknown
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks The location for this lock-up has been confirmed as behind the Salmon Inn on High Street. A tentative location in Nursery Lane, which was determined by the physical properties of the building, had been suggested before (see below comments). In 1823, adverts were placed seeking applications from builders to erect a lock-up. The lock-up was replaced in 1867 by a Court House with cells, erected opposite the lock-up on Lock-up Lane (see Aspects of Belford, 2008).
'There is a small lock up house at this town of ancient erection. It consists of a single room about 12 feet square, and stands apart from other buildings, It is strongly built and is tolerably secure. There is, however, no accommodation for a keeper, and no boundary wall round it. There are no means of warming it, and the window openings are not glazed, but the constable told me that in cold weather he filled them with straw. The place appears to be dry.'
Inspectors of Prisons of Great Britain IV. Scotland, Northumberland and Durham, Sixth Report (Parl. Papers, 1841 Session 2, V.413), p.45
'The name book offers some additional information about the Lock-up: “A small stone building, erected A.D.1824, and used for the temporary confinement of prisoners. Proprietor, the Revd. Jn.D. Clark.”'
Ordnance Survey Name Books of 1860
Description: Possible surviving external wall of the Lock Up. If not, then it was adjoining the latter. It is located directly opposite the Court House. Evidence of earlier openings, now blocked up, remains visible.
Description: Court House, Belford. Photograph taken with High St to rear, looking down "lock up lane". The Court House has been converted into flats. Lock up would have been on the right.
Description: Looking down Lock-Up Lane. Court House is visible on the right. Lock-up would have been situated on the left (before the white wall).
Description: Taken from outside the perimeter wall of The Salmon. These walls look very old. Lock up would be to right. There is a small building on the position of Lock Up but inner walls are brick and only external wall is stone so it might have replaced Lock Up.
Description: This is a separate building inside the perimeter wall of The Salmon. It looks very old and there is evidence of alterations to the stonework.
Description: Possible external wall of the lock-up. You can just see the little brick building which may have replaced the lock up. This is directly opposite the Court House.