Location South side of West End Front Street, west of St Cuthbert's church, Bedlington
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed c.1888
Century of Operation 1800-1899
Building Type Courthouse
Remarks Court house became the Mechanics' Institute after 1888 and later the Bedlington Community Centre
'By 1860, Bedlington Old Hall was now in the ownership of the Bedlington Coal Company...Further along Front Street West is shown the court house, now the community centre...A new combined police station and court house was built...[in 1888]..and the old court house near the Market Place became the Mechanic's Institute.'
Northumberland County Council, People and Planning Northumberland Local Development Framework, Bedlington Conservation Area Character Appraisal, January 2011.
'The Court House, situated near the centre of the village, is a substantial and suitable building, containing a lockup, consisting of two apartments. Robert Drummond, superintendent constable for Bedlingtonshire district, is court keeper. Petty sessions are held here once a month.'
History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, comprising a general survey of the county, and a history of ... Newcastle-upon-Tyne, with separate historical, statistical, and descriptive sketches of the boroughs of Gateshead and Berwick-upon-Tweed ... / by William Whellan & Co. 1855
Description: From Ordnance Survey Map, Northumberland LXXII (includes: Bedlington; Hepscott; Stannington.) Surveyed: 1858 to 1859 Published: 1866