Location Crown Hill, near telephone box (north of junction with Radwinter Road), Ashdon
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened Unknown
Year closed Before 1914
Building Type Lock-Up
Remarks Demolished. 'Removed before the First World War' (Uttlesford District Council).
'Crown Hill'. 'near the present telephone box'.'
Roy's Blog, 'ESSEX. Lock-ups at Roydon, St Osyth, Steeple Bumpstead, Thaxted and Tollesbury.' (26 June 2013)
'The existing Conservation Area boundary is shown on late 19th century mapping at Figure 1 [1877 OS map]. As can be seen the extent of the village was much smaller and had considerable tree cover. Note locations of Old Gravel Pits to the north; the location of two Smithies’; the location of the Post Office at that time and the presence of a Lock Up. Local sources advise the latter had been removed before the First World War.'
Uttlesford District Council, 'Ashdon Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Proposals, Approved January 2013', p.14, p.35.
We don’t have any historical or contemporary pictures of this lock-up at present. If you could give us one, or maybe several, we would be delighted! Follow this link to submit an image of this lock-up. For more information on how to photograph lock ups for the purposes of historical research, please see our User Guide.