Location Old Market Place Altrincham
Map location exact or closely approximate
Year opened unknown
Year closed 1838
Century of Operation 1700-1799, 1800-1899
Building Type Courthouse
Remarks A local court, prison lock-up and stocks were located in Old Market Place. Commissioners for the Royal Commission on Municipal Corporations in 1835 described the lock-up as attached to the courthouse. The upper floor of the Butter Market was used as a courtroom. Replaced by police lock-ups in Lower Town built in 1838 (https://www.prisonhistory.org/lockup/altrincham-police-lock-up/).
'There is a Lock-up house attached to the court-house; but it was built at the expense of the lord of the manor, and is his property.'
Royal Commission of Inquiry into Municipal Corporations of England and Wales, First Report, Appendices: Part 4 (Parl. Papers, 1835, XXV.1), p.2576
'The Butter Market was a six-sided building surrounded with palisades and constructed on two floors. The upper floor was used as a courtroom and the lower floor accommodated the butter sellers. There was also a lock-up, or, as it was more commonly called, the 'Dungeon'. This probably accommodated felons prior to their appearance in the courtroom on the upper floor of the Butter Market, or housed the drunk and disorderly overnight, or until they were well behaved enough to be released!'
Steven Dickens, Altrincham in 50 Buildings (Amberley Publishing, 2018)
Description: Altrincham Market Cross and Old Market Place. The cross is a replica or the original, which stood outside the Butter Market. The lock-up was located here.
Photo by: Photo © David Dixon (cc-by-sa/2.0)